The CCC moves into active license application consideration; what applicants need to know

The Cannabis Control Commission (CCC) is tasked with implementing the new state nonmedical cannabis commerce law (G.L. c. 94G; with regulations at 935 CMR 500), and licensing applicants to cultivate, manufacture (extracts and edibles) and/or retail. Predicting the future conduct of a brand new state agency that's still securing staffing and funding – it only began operating last September, and has yet to grant any licenses – is uncertain. The agency's initial activity, however, merits optimism for industry applicants and the municipalities that are open to hosting them.

Before an applicant can file a state/CCC application, however, three tasks must be done before an application will be accepted:

1. You must have control of the real estate on which you plan to operate your licensed business, by purchase, lease or an legally-binding option to do either;

2. You must execute a host community agreement with the municipality in which your site is located; these agreements can set mutual responsibilities, but primarily they set a municipal tax on your operation, for up to 3% of gross sales for up to five years; and,

3. You must convene a Community Outreach Meeting (COM), to give your site's property abutters an opportunity to hear about your operation and ask questions.

For more information on the licensing process generally, see:

For the CCC's Guidance on the COM process specifically, see:

At EvansCutler Attorneys, we can assist you with forming your entity to be licensed, obtaining site control, negotiating host agreements, overseeing the conduct of your COM, compiling your CCC license application, and obtaining municipal special permit relief for your operation's site.